There are multiple purposes behind having Tunes of the Month. One is simply to build common repertoire among local players. Another is to provide approachable standards that less experienced players can use to get started. Including more challenging pieces that require some due diligence, and allowing session participants some time to prepare them, is yet another purpose. Tunes that might be “jam busters” off the cuff because of complex arrangements can be incorporated if we collectively agree to work on them individually.
Because recordings and lead sheets can vary widely, in order to keep everyone on the same page, a reference to a specific lead sheet is provided whenever possible.
- Eddie Harris – “Listen Here” (Easy) – reference The Real Easy Book
- Freddie Hubbard – “Little Sunflower” (Easy) – reference the Real Book, Volume II
- Thelonious Monk – “‘Round Midnight” – reference the 6th Edition Real Book, Volume I
- Ray Noble – “Cherokee” (optional 3/4 bridge a la Ahmad Jamal) reference the 6th Edition Real Book, Volume I
- Chick Corea – “Spain” (Challenging)